World’s Best Fruit Cake this classic fruit cake made with soaked unsweetened dried fruit. A festive, party, flavorful, and moist fruit cake to enjoy all holidays. This family recipe will make you a fruit cake convert. This is the best fruit cake in the world and the only fruit cake that I’ve ever loved and enjoyed.
- Powdered sugar1 cup
- Chopped walnuts1 cup
- Salt1 tsp
- Chopped dates1 cup
- Raisins2 cup
- Egg1 large
- Chopped glazed cherries 1/2 cup (can sub dried sweetened cranberries)
- Baking soda1 tsp
- All-purpose flour2 cup(divided into 1/4 cup and 3/4 cup)
- Butter 1 / 2 cup
- Sour cream1 cup
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 325°F or 163°C. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with greased parchment paper or baking paper (cut to fit the pan)
- Mix baking soda and sour cream in a small bowl
- Mix in the nuts, dates, cherries, and raisins with 1/4cup of flour and toss to coat the fruit and nuts and set them aside
- Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the egg, then the orange rind, then the baking soda mix /sour cream.
- Mix fruit/nut mixture (step 3) with creamed ingredients (step 4) and mix them well to distribute the fruit and nuts evenly.
- Pour batter into a prepared 5×9-inch loaf pan to bake the fruit cake.
- Place the batter-filled pan into the preheated oven. Place a separate pan of water in the oven either on a rack underneath the fruitcake or beside it. (This will help with gentle cooking.)
- Bake at 325°F or 163°C for 1 and a half to 2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (water may need to be replenished during baking)
- Remove to a rack to cool for 5 min. Use the edges of the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and let cool completely.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil to store.
- Optional: If you want, you can poke a few holes over the top of the cake and sprinkle (especially if you would like to store the fruit cake for a while).