I love this Easy Simple Sponge Cake Recipe. It’s easy and you can make hundreds of different cakes with this base. Once you have this recipe down you’ll be baking things that look and taste like they are from a fancy bakery. This cake base takes on moisture really well from fruit and frostings.
- Softened butter 1 cup
- Baking powder tsp
- Milk half-cup (room temperature)
- Eggs 2
- All-purpose flour 1 cup
- Powdered sugar 1 cup
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 400°F and grease an 8-inch springform pan.
- Put the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in color
- Add eggs (room temperature) one at a time while allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next
- Beat in vanilla and pour in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing until just fused
- Pour batter (step 5) in the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean(for about 20min)
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10min, then put the cake onto a shelf or a wire rack to cool completely
- Optional: The cake can be cut out horizontally to put a layer of custard or jam