The cupcake recipe starts with a classic sweet sponge cake. This recipe acts as your best Cupcake recipe. No matter what flavor you are making you will never need another cupcake recipe. This cake is fluffy, moist, and sweet, making it the perfect canvas for whatever flavors you and your family crave. And they’re perfect for birthday cupcakes, special events, and so much more.
- Vanilla extract half tsp
- Golden caster sugar half cup
- Softened butter half cup
- Eggs2 (large)
- Self-raising flour half-cup(flour with the baking powder and a bit of salt already added)
For the buttercream
- Softened butter2 / 3 cup
- Milk3 tbsp
- Powdered sugar 300g
- Vanillaextract1 tsp
- Optional: Food colouring paste of your choice
- Heat oven to 180°C – 160°C and fill a 12-cupcake tray with cases (depends on your availability).
- Using an electric whisk beat softened butter and golden caster sugar together until pale and fluffy then whisk in 2 large eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add half tsp vanilla extract, self-raising flour and a pinch of salt and whisk until just combined then put the mixture gently into the cupcake cases.
- Bake for 15 mins until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream: Whisk softened butter until super soft then add 1 tsp vanilla extract, icing sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk together until smooth (start off slowly) then beat in 3 tbsp milk.
- Optional: If wanting to colour, stir in the food colouring now. Spoon or pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.